Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Una rosa es hermosa, no importa donde se goza"♪♪

Hello all!
I’ve been a bit of a slacker. I apologize. Life here is going pretty swimmingly. This is the third week of classes, and they’re all turning out to be quite interesting. I switched out of Human Development and Education because it turned out to not have anything to do with education’s role in social development (my perception) but instead to be a Child Development class for Special Education teacher. Quite different. So, not I’m in a Spanish Literature class from the Siglo de Oro. The professor is quite funny. Ex. On his briefcase, he has a sticker that says “Poet on Board” instead of “baby on board” hahaha. Good one, profe. Unfortunately, I have to read all of Don Quixote. In Spanish. It’s….quite lengthy. All in all, I think I’ll have to work at my classes a bit because there are a lot of project and papers and readings, but it seems like it’ll be worth it in the end.

In other news, these past two weekends have been great. Last weekend, I went on Saturday to the beach at Jaco with three friends. It was quite beautiful, and the waves were really fun. It was quite touristy, so I’m glad we didn’t stay for the whole weekend. Some other people in our study abroad group had the bad luck of getting their passport and computer stolen from the hostel where they were staying. Bad news. We came back Saturday night though, and Sunday I went to the Reflections Gathering for the San Jose cluster with a young Filipino Baha’i here who is really sweet and lives pretty close with her husband. Afterwards, myself and two other young adults here ended up going back to her place to play rock band and bake banana bread. It was so nice to meet the community. They seem super active, and there is going to be a junior youth group starting close to me! Really, traveling always made me appreciate the Baha’i Faith more and more. This past weekend, I stayed with some Baha’is in Ciudad Colon to support the IPG there. It was wonderful and beautiful; I think I’m going back this weekend, too.

The Baha’i Fast starts a week from today which, to be honest, is both exciting and a bit intimidating. I always enjoy the Fast because of the perspective it gives, the spiritual focus I feel, and the tranquility it engenders. I just hope that he heat and walking won’t make it so difficult that I’m not able to make the most out of it. I think sunset here is at around 5:30 or 6, and I have one class Mondays from 1-3:30, one Tuesdays from 4-6:30 and another Fridays from 1-4:45. I think I’m going to talk with those teachers to warn them that the afternoon time is the most challenging, and that I get pretty sleepy in the afternoons after note eating all day. I’m sure they’ll understand.

Next week, I’ll try to post some pictures of my adventures ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment